It is finally over. After months of stress and emotional anguish, you have at last signed your divorce papers and your marriage is officially dissolved. While everyone’s story leading up to their divorce will be different, once all is said and done, everyone faces the same question: What happens now? Additionally, where do you begin to rebuild your life and reinvent yourself as a newly single person?
The following tips can all help you start over and move forward:
- Give yourself time to grieve: Nobody ever gets married with the intention of divorcing. Even if your divorce ended up being something you wanted, it is still a significant loss and will likely come with some level of emotional and psychological pain. This is normal. Take the necessary time to deal with your emotions before attempting to push forward.
- Talk about it: The last thing you need after a divorce is to carry around baggage from your previous relationship into your new life. Find a way to work through these feelings and put them to rest. Whether this involves seeking professional help, keeping a journal, or simply focusing your energy on something that makes you happy, it is important you conquer these issues head-on rather than sweep them under the rug.
- Love yourself: While this may sound corny, the fact is that many people struggle with feelings of worthlessness or self-rejection after a divorce. Remember, even though your previous relationship may not have worked out, this does not mean that there is something wrong with you. Work on regaining your confidence and rediscovering who you are. Revisiting things you used to do before your marriage or things you deferred in favor of your relationship can help to reestablish your identity.
- Try new things: In addition to rediscovering who you were before your divorce, it is equally important you shake things up and try new things. This can be as simple as trying a new haircut or picking up a new hobby to drastic changes such as relocating or going back to college. While it is important you remember your responsibilities, do not fear change. Embrace it!
- Try dating again: While it is important to take some time and enjoy life a single person, when the time is right, do not be afraid to love again. If an opportunity should present itself to pursue a relationship with someone new, even if it is just a friendly date, give it a chance! Again, do not let your past dictate your future.
For more advice on ways you can start over after divorce, or if you are still in the beginning stages of your dissolving your marriage, contact the knowledgeable Broward County family attorneys at Pazos Law Group today. Having earned a 10.0 Superb Avvo Rating and an AV® Preeminent™ Rating by Martindale-Hubbell® for our unparalleled knowledge and client satisfaction, our team of advocates can provide support you need to push forward with peace of mind.
Call (954) 719-5557 or contact us online today to get started.